WWW.TBARNY.COM Website displays the most current sculptures available.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

#23 of 30 Countdown to 8-18-2012

CATENA, 'Chain of Connected Ideas'
Mobius vs. Trefoil Some of you may be wondering about the difference between a Mobius and a Trefoil. I use to call all of my one edge/one side sculptures "Mobius" but my true signature pieces with three loops and one edge are really called "Trefoils". The trefoil knot is named after the three leaf clover or trefoil plant. The trefoil knot is impossible to 'untie' in three dimensions without cutting it. It is also invertible; there's no distinction between a counter clockwise-oriented trefoil and a clockwise-oriented trefoil. Just the words make your head spin. The "Mobius Strip" is an object with only one side and one edge. My Mobius Sculptures often appear to have several sides and edges because of the openings I carve into them. Trust me though, if you follow the edge you would come back to where you began.

No comments: